Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Join the Community Forums Work In Progress Dig! Prototype – Playtest Ready Reply To: Dig! Prototype – Playtest Ready

• Conor Reed

June 17, 2021 at 11:37 am
    Premium Member

This was very interesting to read, people’s first impressions are one of the most important things about a game design (I think). This is still the very early stages of this design, and the rules are still very malleable, so I love any suggestions people have. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!

We had originally considered that thematically this income mechanic tied in as you would be better funded digging where more valuable artefacts are thought to be. However, the gold as a component of the game has been bothering me a lot recently. In play tests it feels kind of useless because you often collect 1 more than you spend, and players (myself included) have just been skipping the collecting and spending phase until after you reveal the card and calculating what the whole turn would result in. It doesn’t feel healthy to not want to take each step the game presents you with.

The analysis has been another weird one for us. We had considered letting you analyse deeper and plan more of your game around what you find, but in its current state there is nothing to stop the next player just looking at what you saw and undoing all the hidden information gameplay that we want. We’re thinking about making it a discoverable event, so you wouldn’t get to choose when and what you analyse, and then that information would be more unique to you.

I think you’re right; I think it can just feel bad when that happens with artefacts. The intention was while that would feel bad for you, it would happen just as often in a scenario where you get to claim someone else’s artefact. However, in practice it results in multiple parties waiting around until they would have the gold necessary to claim any artefact they found, and that’s just not fun.

I really like this stone token idea, like A LOT. The soil is our favourite mechanic, however it still kind of feels like after a few turns on the board, almost every space has one on it and when you place one there is often only 1 space (or sometimes no spaces) to place it, so it removes the strategy involved. It might help to not have soil tokens placed when removing grass (both thematically and strategically) as this is when the board pretty much fills up.

We’ve got a lot of work to do yet, and we have a few potential solutions in the works, but I really appreciate your thoughts. It’s going to help us hugely moving forwards!