Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Join the Community Forums Game Design Ancient Games Reply To: Ancient Games

• Jeffrey Pacitto

June 10, 2021 at 7:34 am
    Premium Member Founding Member

I love the idea that thousands of years ago someone played virtually the same thing I’m playing!

I also love the idea of a game made up in a fantasy realm. I broke down and bought myself a (somewhat expensive) copy of Tak from the Patrick Rothfuss series of books. I love when that sort of thing happens, and a made-up game from a made-up world can translate to the real world. Often times things are glossed over so the real-world implementation isn’t quite up to snuff, but with simple style games like these they can work in the real world and that’s awesome!

I actually just spitballed another one on my drive in to work today and before I even finished decided on the specific mechanic of movement I had developed a crude “history” of the game moving from ancient Egyptian roots to a more “westernized” style in Europe where the themes changed while the mechanics stay the same. I’ll try to TTS it in the next day or so and drop a clip of it here for all us nerds to enjoy!

Or maybe once I have the mechanics properly figured out I’ll hit up @Bill and jam a game or two of it!