Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Dashboard Forums Ask Me Anything Kirk Dennison, from Thunderworks Games Reply To: Kirk Dennison, from Thunderworks Games

• Kirk Dennison

March 31, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Hi Bill,

It is certainly a tricky balancing act knowing how many to print! If we were discussing this 2 years ago my perspective would be much different, but currently the insane cost of freight looms large.

I would focus on maximizing container space for your games above all else. The current freight costs will outweigh savings on per unit manufacturing costs (if you were to increase to the next price break) and long-term warehouse storage fees.

There is definitely some value to scarcity of products for marketing, but I would focus on producing enough for your pre-sales + a realistic amount you can sell within 1-2 years. Round up or down to fit a 20′ or 40′ container. If your volumes are much smaller than 20′, then just fit the logical number of pallets.

Some numbers to consider with a hypothetical game that is ~ 12 x 9 x 3″. In a 20′ container, you can fit about 2,800 games on pallets or 4,300 games when floor-loaded. On pallets, that is currently $5-7 / game and floor-load that is currently $3-4.50 / game (China to US east coast).