Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Dashboard Forums Ask Me Anything Sen-Foong Lim, awesome game designer Reply To: Sen-Foong Lim, awesome game designer

• Sen-Foong Lim

March 24, 2022 at 1:37 pm

This is going to be multipart because I can’t scroll down to read your whole question for some reasons…

Who does what is usually determined by skill. For example, Jay is skilled with making the prototypes quickly. I’m skilled with writing rules. Jay is skilled with pitching games verbally. I’m skilled with planning which publisher needs what.

Tasks are split fairly evenly and some are going to be only done by one person first and verified by another second.

Other tasks are best completed by both designers – playtesting is one of those tasks: In most cases, its very important to be on the same page or else it’s very difficult to tell the story together. So if there’s a playtest in Vancouver that has a specific result, we want to do our best to get a test in London to see if we can replicate that.

An even split of tasks AND pay is honestly the best way to ensure that the relationships are good and the power dynamics stay even. The only time that I would consider differentiating pay scales is if the other partner was demonstrably spending more time or had a skill we were using that I could not replicate to do.

Hope this helps!