Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Dashboard Forums Ask Me Anything Jay Cormier from Off the Page Games Reply To: Jay Cormier from Off the Page Games

• Jay Cormier

March 10, 2022 at 1:51 am

Great question. I have a lot of plans for Fail Faster. First up is an online game design course. I’ve taught game design for 9 years and want to provide people with a more A-Z process of designing a game. I’ll go into specifics about how to use feedback loops, and the role of uncertainty and how and when to use it, types of decisions – good and bad. Tons of stuff. Through that I’ll be providing a lot of tools – like a Game Analysis worksheet – which helps you analyze existing games from a game designer’s perspective; a roll and write creation guide to help you create your own roll and write game…tons more!

My second project is a young adult fiction book. As you read the story you’ll get to a section to play a game. You’ll probably lose the game – but then you’re given all sorts of tools to change the game. Through this you’ll learn about one mechanic throughout the 5 or 6 games you play in the book. I’ve partnered with a writer / designer and we’ve got the first draft written and a few of the games figured out. It’s going to be super cool! We hope to sell it in stores alongside those Klutz type books that teach you how to juggle and it comes with 3 balls, for example. So lots more to come!

Plus with in-person design events happening again – I’ll start promoting it more at these events!