Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Dashboard Forums Ask Me Anything Jay Cormier from Off the Page Games Reply To: Jay Cormier from Off the Page Games

• Jay Cormier

March 10, 2022 at 1:39 am

I truly believe in the mantra of failing faster – by which I mean – iterate sooner! Game design is such an iterative process – design, playtest, tweak, playtest etc… If you take too long in one step then that delays the entire process. I would do whatever I could to get the game concept onto the table as quickly as possible – just to test out concepts. In the beginning, Sen was the opposite and wanted to math everything out first. He’s come around and has realized the need to get the prototype made quickly at the start.

One time Sen was visiting and we spent a lot of time designing a game called The Dig. A lot of time. We spent a lot of time on spreadsheets, ensuring everything was balanced. We made over 20 pages of prototype materials, cut it all up and sleeved tons and tons of cards. Then we finally did our first test – and it bombed so big. Nothing was working like it should have – you know?! 🙂 We were so disappointed by how much time we wasted on every step. That was the last time we did that and we knew then the value of failing faster!