Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Dashboard Forums Ask Me Anything Joe Slack from Crazy Like a Box (Mar 3) Reply To: Joe Slack from Crazy Like a Box (Mar 3)

• Joe Slack

March 3, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Hey Matt!

Great question! Thanks for posting this.

I certainly do feel that the components and aesthetics of a game are important. One example I often use is Azul. The publisher probably could have made the game with cardboard punch-out tokens instead of the beautiful clunky tiles they chose and sold it for about half the price (I feel they wouldn’t have sold nearly as many copies though). But they chose to instead make it a premium product and go with really solid quality components. I feel that this helped Azul to become a hit. This was all part of the experience.

My oft co-designer is all about the look and feel of a game. Some of his early version prototypes look almost as good as some published games (sometimes even better)! Designing with him has made me appreciate how great a game can look and feel when your mechanics integrate really well with the components and the look and feel of a game. Great graphic design also really helps improve the player experience as well.

At an early stage, I like to just test out mechanics and figure out what’s working and what’s not. But once I feel there is a game there and I have a good idea for the theme, I try to think of the components and how they will integrate with the game and the mechanics. For example, wooden player pieces that look like men in business suits and mini briefcases in my game Jewel Heist.

I hope this helps!